Spring Concert and Annual Meeting May 20
Plan now to attend the TC Bands Spring Concert on Wednesday, May 20. Since all of you are band boosters, you’ll get to take part in the annual booster meeting that evening-we have a couple bits of business that will fit right in as the bands are changing:
- Election of officers for next year
- Approval of the budget for next year
You can learn more about both of those by reading the draft booster meeting minutes.
We’ll also be honoring all our seniors with the presentation to each of the 2015 band medal, suitable for wearing at graduation and keeping as a memento of the TC Williams bands.
And, yes, the Chick-fil-A meal deal will be back for the Spring Concert. You can get a chick-fil-a sandwich, chips and a drink all for $5. Separately, it’s $4 a sandwich, $1 chips, $1 drink. There’s a limited number of sandwiches, so start your evening with us – no fuss, no muss!! Joyce and Derrick Wagner could use your help with setup, serving, or clean up. (Don’t worry, you’ll still get to watch the concert!) Contact Derrick and Joyce at email@example.com to sign up now. We’ll start setting up at 6 p.m., so show and help.
May Booster Meeting Highlights
Most of the May meeting, following the nominating committee report was dedicated to discussing and approving the proposed budget for next year:
- Martha Schiele reported on the progress of the Nominating Committee in filling the slate of 8 officers that comprise the boosters Executive Board. Two open spots remain: President and 2nd Vice President in charge of fund raising. (Read more about the duties of these positions in the article below.)
- Budget discussion was wide-ranging, including how marching and concert band fees don’t cover many of the marching and concert band expenses, what level of marching and concert band fees are appropriate, and how can we ensure that everyone contributes their fair share. Fund raising beyond the assessed fees is critical to supporting the band: the proposed budget anticipates income about the same as last year, including about $1300 from as-yet-unknown sources (after TAG Day, marching and concert band fees (same per student level as this year), donations from car washes, Holy Cow, Spring2ACTion, First Night and Zombie Band and stadium and food sales.
- Lots of opportunities for parent help in the next few weeks:
- May 20 Concert: contact Derrick and Joyce Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 23 car wash: contact Craig Schiele at email@example.com
- June 9: Awards and Jazz Concert. Help serve pizza and cake at the awards gathering before the concert. Contact Derrick and Joyce Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 15 Graduation: contact the directors at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Boosters Still Need 2nd Vice President for Next Year
The Nominating Committee has been hard at work reaching out to parents to fill the slate of officers for next year. Current terms expire June 30 and new officers take over July 1. Several parents have agreed to serve in various positions, but the position of 2nd Vice President/Fundraising Chair is still open. This is an important position that helps to keep all the Booster support organized and flowing. If you look at the proposed budget for next year, you’ll see that funding is a critical component of booster support of the band program. ACPS can only provide so much and for TCW Bands to excel, especially in Northern Virginia, funding in addition to what ACPS budgets is essential.
You don’t have to know much about band or music; you just need to be willing to help. Contact Ginny Kalish, of the Nominating Committee, at email@example.com to learn more. We are especially in need of parents of rising juniors, sophomores and freshmen.
What’s involved with being 2nd Vice President? Here are the highlights from the by-laws: The 2nd Vice-President – Fundraising Chairperson: The 2nd Vice-President shall serve as the Fundraising Committee Chairperson and recruit committee members. OK. This one sounds a bit daunting–chairing a committee and finding members. BUT, several parents have already told the nominating committee that they are willing to organize a fund-raising event. So, it sounds like the “fundraising committee” is already set. It just needs someone to get it started and keep it on track.
Here’s the slate of officers thus far to be presented at the Annual Meeting May 20:
- President: Craig Schiele
- 1st Vice President: Keith Jabati
- 2nd Vice President of Fundraising: open
- Secretary: Deborah Lockett
- Treasurer: Bob Warden (returning)
- Communications Director: Margo William
- Hospitality Director: Marjorie Pratt-Flores
- Uniforms Director: Jill Warden
Help with May 23 Car Wash
Our next fund raiser is a car wash in the Minnie Howard parking lot on Saturday, May 23. Contact Craig Schiele, firstname.lastname@example.org, to help out. The students are signing up for different shifts. Your role is mainly to make sure most of the water is going into car washing rather than spraying each other!
Awards and Jazz June 9
Plan now to join us Tuesday, June 9, at 6:30pm in the Black Box, across from the auditorium for our annual awards presentation, including pizza and cake. Band Letter award winners will be presented as will several other band awards. There may even be the (in)famous paper plate awards. You’ll have to be there to hear those!
After the awards, head to the auditorium to hear the Jazz Bands in concert. The tunes start at 7:30.
If you can help with set up, serving, or clean up, please contact Derrick and Joyce Wagner at email@example.com and let them know!
Turn in Band Letter Info to Mr. G
If you earn 100 points or more from different music activities, you earn a band letter. Fill out the Lettering in Band form and turn it into Mr. G. soon. You can even e-mail it: firstname.lastname@example.org. You get your letter at the Awards Banquet June 9, before the Jazz Band concert. Get more details, including the listing of activities and points on the Lettering in Band page of the website.
TCW Band Letter: Students are awarded this letter based on points earned by completing various band activities.
Summer Music Opportunities
There are many summer music camp options available to TC musicians. Whether you’re looking for jazz, concert, or marching camp, or maybe even some quintet or quartet work, check out the Summer Opportunities page on the boosters website. If you know of other summer music opportunities, please let me know and I’ll add them to the page: Sharon Dooley, email@example.com.
|May 20||Spring Concert (Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Concert Band) and annual meeting, 7:30pm|
|23||Car Wash, TCW Minnie Howard campus lower parking lot|
|Jun 9||End-of-year awards, before Jazz Concert
Jazz Concert, 7:30pm
|10||Band Boosters meeting|
|15||Graduation, 10am, George Mason University|
Send your ideas and suggestions for the TC Band Boosters to any of the following:
- Craig Schiele, President, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ginny Kalish, Secretary, email@example.com
- Bob Warden, Treasurer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sharon Dooley, Newsletter/Communications Chair, email@example.com
TC Williams Band Boosters