Here are a few summer music opportunities to consider. If you know of others, please pass them along and I’ll include them too!
Note: Information on this page last updated May 9, 2015.
National Jazz Workshop: Two sessions nearby in 2015:
- Shenandoah University in Winchester, VA from July 12-17 Hosted by Dr. Robert Larson, Director of Jazz Studies. Overnight camp with evening activities. Click above on “Registration” to register for this camp.
- George Mason University in Fairfax, VA from June 21-26. Day camp with no overnight accommodations offered or evening activities 08:30am-4:45pm. Hosted by Dr. Darden Purcell, Director of Jazz Studies. Click above on “Registration” to register for this camp.
Bar Harbor Brass Week: Dates are June 21-28, 2015, for this intensive educational and performance experience for select college and high school brass musicians. Daily activities include rehearsals, coaching, master classes, and private lessons–all led by a prestigious faculty of many of the finest brass musicians and educators in the country.
- High School Drum Majors Camp: July 7-11
- Other High School Marching Camps: July 8-11
- Color Guard Camp: July 8-11
- Concert Band Camps (open to all middle and high school students with 1 or more years of playing experience): July 15-18
JMU Summer Band Camp: Dates are July 7-11, 2015, … features 5 sections to choose from: Concert Band, Marching Band, Drum Major, Yamaha “Sounds of Summer” Drum Line Camp, and the Color Guard/Weapon Camp. The JMU experience is unique because it offers five camps at the same time, with participants choosing ONE of the above in which to participate.
NOVA Summer Low Brass Ensemble: (2015 information not available as of May 9, 2015) Tuesday evenings, 7:30-9pm, starting July 1, 2014. This camp is a fun way to keep playing over the summer! Trombone, Euphonium, and Tuba players can come together and learn some great and challenging music in a group that is different than any other they have ever experienced! Under the direction of Mark Thiele, tuba with the United States Marine Band.
George N. Parks Drum Major Academy (DMA): July 27-30, 2015, at West Chester University, West Chester Pennsylvania. DMA is for any band member who wishes to improve and develop their leadership, communication, conducting and teaching skills in order to become a stronger asset to their band program. Separate tracks for Drum Majors, Colorguard, Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion.
Summer JAM Camp: June 22 – July 10, 2015, at Sligo Middle School: 1401 Dennis Ave; Silver Spring, MD. Jam with the pros and learn the tricks of the trade. At JAM Camp and JAM Lab you will learn how to perform in big band and combo formats. You will enhance your ability to craft solos/improvise. You will have loads of fun jamming with your peers, instructors and our guest touring artists. Students are grouped by skill level.
NOVA Alexandria Summer Music Camp: July 6-10 2015 at the NOVA Alexandria campus. Includes band and orchestra this year. Students with at least one year experience playing an instrument, ages 11-15.
Monumental Brass Quartet Summer Brass Institute: an exciting week of rehearsals and master classes, beginning with a Monumental Brass Quintet concert, and culminating in the final concert featuring all the camp attendees.
- Summer Brass Institute, June 21-26, 2015
- Summer Brass Camp, July 20-24, 2015
The camp is open to any brass players in grades 5-12, including graduating seniors.