Members of the T.C. Williams Bands are empowered to achieve the highest level of musical independence, allowing them a lifetime of musical participation, appreciation, and enjoyment. The band program includes
- Concert Band: members in grades 9-12 have at least one year of band experience and focus on development of skills and knowledge of instrumental music (wind and percussion) performing music at various grade levels with a strong focus on levels 3 and 4.
- Symphonic Band: members in grades 9-12 are placed by audition and focus on development of skills and knowledge of instrumental music (wind and percussion) performing music at various grade levels with a strong focus on levels 4-6.
- Wind Ensemble: members in grades 10-12 are placed by audition and focus on development of skills and knowledge of instrumental music (wind and percussion) performing music at various grade levels with a strong focus on levels 4-6.
- Jazz Band: members in grades 9-12 develop skill and knowledge in jazz performance and styling, learn elements of jazz improvisation and are exposed to a variety of styles.
- Jazz Combo: a dynamic group that performs all over the Washington metro area. Students in combo must be members of the jazz band and will be selected by the director.
- Marching Band: one of the most visible organizations at TC Williams High School. Participants develop and reinforce strong performance skills, individual responsibility, citizenship, teamwork, discipline, attention to detail, spatial awareness, physical and mental strength and endurance. Marching Band is required for all Symphonic Band & Wind Ensemble students not participating in a Virginia High School League (VHSL) fall sport (i.e., football, golf, cross country, field hockey. Crew is a VHSL spring sport.)
Carlos González, Director of Bands
Doug Rogers, Band Director and Jazz Studies
TC Williams Band Boosters Info
The purpose of the Band Boosters is to:
- Foster and promote a positive image of the TC Williams High School band students and band programs within the schools and the community at large;
- Provide financial support and service to the TC Williams High School Band Program including concert, jazz and marching bands;
- Cooperatively support the efforts of the band directors and staff to provide students with a music education that meets the highest possible standards;
- Assist the TC Williams High School bands in achieving growth in musicianship, in performance opportunities and in the number of students participating at all levels K-12 grades; and
- Foster an appreciation within the Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) and community for the educational value of strong band programs.
The TC Williams Band Boosters provide financial, physical, logistical, and moral support to the TC band program. Booster funds supplement the ACPS budget for music, instruments, transportation to competitions, and clinic and sectional instructors. Funds also support private lesson scholarships, the TC Williams Scholarship Fund, competition entry fees, uniform maintenance, senior recognition and other activities.
Every parent and guardian of a TC Williams band student is automatically a Band Booster. There are no dues or membership fees.
Officers for 2016-17
- President: Keith Jabati, email@example.com
- 1st Vice President of Membership (President-Elect): We are in need of a booster to fill this position.
- 2nd Vice President of Fundraising: Al and Liz Rush
- Secretary: Margo Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Bob Warden, email@example.com
- Hospitality: Marjorie Pratt-Flores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Uniform Director: Jill Warden , email@example.com, and we are in need of a booster to co-chair the position
- TC Williams Band Boosters Bylaws (as amended May 2016, PDF)
- TC Williams Band Boosters Articles of Incorporation (PDF)
- TC Williams Band Boosters Position Descriptions (PDF, excerpted from Bylaws adopted May 2014)